Owl Labs is a collaborative tech company, creating an equalized meeting and learning experience for all, wherever participants may be. Powering hybrid teams and remote work is in our DNA. Owl Labs has been a leader when it comes to celebrating and connecting hybrid teams and classrooms -- meaning both in-office and remote workers, in-room students and at-home learning. We’re best known for the Meeting Owl product line, a smart 360° camera, mic, speaker all-in-one solution. Sitting in the center of the table, the Meeting Owl uses vision and voice recognition to shift the camera to focus on who’s speaking, giving all participants a feeling as if they’re in the same room. With the continued rise of hybrid teams and remote workers, our products allow for better collaboration and productivity no matter your location.
Our award-winning product, the Meeting Owl Pro, has been recognized by CES Innovation Awards 2020, Red Dot Design Awards 2020, SXSW Innovation Awards 2020 and our team recognized as an Inc. Best Workplaces 2020 and the esteemed Inc.’s Editor’s List.
We are seeking a frontend engineer to join our development team. The ideal candidate has expert-level experience with React internals, lifecycle, and the broader community of developers and modules. Bonus points for experience with React Native. The ideal candidate has shown initiative in growing systems and can tell the story of what worked and what didn’t work and how you overcame technical limitations. This role is inherently collaborative; you will work with engineering, marketing, design, and product teams, and interact with colleagues throughout all levels of the company. We are actively looking to increase the breadth of our team by finding candidates with strengths to complement ours.
In this role, you will impact some of the company's most important product development goals as you develop the technology that is at the core of Owl Labs’ groundbreaking products.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for a frontend engineer who will help build new ecosystems around our tremendously successful core of robotics-inspired IoT products. You’ll create new applications and build infrastructure that enables new interactive experiences for our customers. You will also help maintain and monitor some of our existing systems. On a daily basis, you’ll carry out some of the various engineering tasks as listed below:
- Work with product and design teams to add new features and screens to existing applications that allow customers to manage and interact with Owl Labs’ hardware products.
- Build out and implement a component library based on our UX team's design system so customers have a consistent experience.
- Create new applications that run on our hardware platforms that interact with both the underlying hardware and our Cloud endpoints, as well as third-party endpoints.
- Build new integrations with third-party vendors (e.g. Slack, Zoom, GCal).
- Automate our infrastructure and delivery pipelines. Create tooling so we can all work faster.
More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Owl Labs—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, et al. or a great portfolio of web-based applications.
- 5+ years experience creating frontends for non-trivial applications.
- Experience interfacing with NodeJS, rpc patterns, and JSON output.
- Experience with SQL and No-SQL data stores.
- Appreciation for building applications that show empathy for the customers using them, and the other developers who work with it.
- Ability to design and build from scratch.
- Skilled at jumping into an existing code base and building on top of it.
- Desire and ability to stretch beyond the environments, frameworks, and stacks that you’re already most comfortable with.
- Proactive and clear communication abilities.
- Appreciation for documentation.
- You are a maker. You do what it takes to ship and iterate on what you learn.
The best candidates will have:
- 5+ years experience creating non-trivial platforms on AWS (or comparable cloud).
- Experience with React Native.
- Experience with Electron and NodeJS.
- Mobile development experience (Android and/or iOS).
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role is a Boston-based position, though our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19. Our return to the office is currently TBD.
Please submit a cover letter with your application explaining why you think you’d be a great fit as our Senior Frontend Engineer.
Who We Are
The environment at Owl Labs has been shaped by the top tech, marketing and sales talent leading it. We share a strong culture of support, learning, and collaboration. Embodying empathy for the remote worker or team, a love of emerging technology, and hustle and grit, everyday the Owl Labs team is shaping the future of work. From leadership to our co-op interns, we encourage creativity, breaking the mold, moving fast to learn quickly and then adapting. It’s a culture of trying new things to stay ahead in the marketplace, and embracing new ideas at every level. We embrace remote work, today and everyday with over 40% of employees working remotely (pre-COVID). The Meeting Owl products contribute directly to the company’s success; it’s at the core of who we are and what we do.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.
What We Offer
- Option to Work Remotely: We practice what we preach. Employees work at our Boston HQ, across the US, and often work a hybrid mix of in-office and remote.
- Flexible Schedule: We all work hard, and so we believe in working whenever you're at your best.
- Free Health Insurance: Enroll in Owl Labs's health plan for $1 for you and your family.
- Unlimited Vacation: We have big goals. It makes sense to take what you need, when you need it.
- Celebrate Inclusivity: Owlers get important holidays, including International Women's Day, Indigenous People's Day and MLK Day.
- Incredible Team: Learn alongside phenomenal folks from some of Boston's most successful tech companies.