Owl Labs is a collaborative tech company, creating an equalized meeting and learning experience for all, wherever participants may be. Powering hybrid teams and remote work is in our DNA. Owl Labs has been a leader when it comes to celebrating and connecting hybrid teams and classrooms -- meaning both in-office and remote workers, in-room students and at-home learning. We’re best known for the Meeting Owl product line, a smart 360° camera, mic, speaker all-in-one solution. Sitting in the center of the table, the Meeting Owl uses vision and voice recognition to shift the camera to focus on who’s speaking, giving all participants a feeling as if they’re in the same room. With the continued rise of hybrid teams and remote workers, our products allow for better collaboration and productivity no matter your location.
Our award-winning product, the Meeting Owl Pro, has been recognized by CES Innovation Awards 2020, Red Dot Design Awards 2020, SXSW Innovation Awards 2020 and our team recognized as an Inc. Best Workplaces 2020 and the esteemed Inc.’s Editor’s List.
We are seeking a Senior Robotics Engineer to join our diverse development team. The ideal candidate has strong experience developing robotics algorithms for use in unconstrained natural environments, but that execute on a resource constrained mobile-class processing unit. You love taking sensor data and turning it into robust world models and using it to make real-time high-level decisions. Bonus if you have interest and experience in basic computer vision algorithms and can find your way around OpenCV. Double bonus is you have machine learning experience.
In this role, you will impact some of the company's most important product development goals as you develop the technology that is at the core of Owl Labs’ groundbreaking products.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for a Senior Robotics Engineer who will help us advance our ability to make sense of the world and make intelligent decisions about how to react to it. On a daily basis, you’ll carry out some of the various engineering tasks as listed below, with some flexibility dependent on your level of experience:
Work with product managers and other engineers in order to help define user-level details by providing technical feasibility/difficulty estimates.
Collaborate with your peers to offer your expertise on their projects and well as bring their ideas into yours.
Work independently to design and implement specific robotics algorithms that accomplish well-defined user-level goals.
Collaborate with a team of cross-disciplinary software engineers while you integrate your algorithms into a resource-constrained computational system that must share processing time with other robotics-style digital filtering algorithms, computer vision algorithms, audio algorithms, and machine learning algorithms.
Test and debug your code and features so that you are proud of what will be tested by the SQA team and confident that it will pass.
Work with SQA team to debug your work as you take your features to production release.
Help field technical questions from our customer support team as they help our users have the best experience possible.
Work on iterative releases, MVP-style, on features that generally take a month or two to develop, not a year or two.
BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, et al. or a great portfolio of robotics work.
5+ years professional experience with classic robotics algorithms and techniques.
Proficiency in C++ and C, and ability to develop clean well-documented modular code.
Experience with SOC and/or microcontroller development.
Comfort in developing in a Linux environment.
Strong engineering test & debug skills for complex real-time systems.
Experience with version control (preferably Git) and bug tracking systems.
Proven creativity in developing for resource constrained hardware environments.
Ability and desire to develop with the end-user in mind.
Proactive and clear communication abilities.
Appreciation for documentation.
Co-worker & customer empathy.
The best candidates will have:
- 5+ years professional experience with classic robotics algorithms and techniques.
- Good fundamental knowledge of DSP techniques.
- Experience developing Bayesian estimators such as Kalman and particle filters.
- Strong knowledge of statistics, especially as applied in probabilistic algorithms
- Skillful at code instrumentation for algorithm development and debug.
- Great track record of knowing when to switch between simulation and the real-world for both development and testing.
- Experience developing machine learning algorithms and good fundamental knowledge of how they work.
- Some computer vision experience, including experience working with OpenCV.
- Love of developing for resource constrained hardware platforms.
- Experience working within embedded Android.
- Experience developing for mobile-class SOC.
- Experience building software for consumer products.
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This role can be either an on-site or remote position. Please specify in your application. Our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19. Our return to the office is currently TBD.
Please submit a cover letter with your application explaining why you think you’d be a great fit as our Senior Robotics Engineer.
Who We Are
The environment at Owl Labs has been shaped by the top tech, marketing and sales talent leading it. We share a strong culture of support, learning, and collaboration. Embodying empathy for the remote worker or team, a love of emerging technology, and hustle and grit, everyday the Owl Labs team is shaping the future of work. From leadership to our co-op interns, we encourage creativity, breaking the mold, moving fast to learn quickly and then adapting. It’s a culture of trying new things to stay ahead in the marketplace, and embracing new ideas at every level. We embrace remote work, today and everyday with over 40% of employees working remotely (pre-COVID). The Meeting Owl products contribute directly to the company’s success; it’s at the core of who we are and what we do.
Owl Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to our values of embracing inclusivity and creating a culture where everyone feels respected and connected, no matter the location of their work environment. We invite applications from people of all walks of life and are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.
What We Offer
- Option to Work Remotely: We practice what we preach. Employees work at our Boston HQ, across the US, and often work a hybrid mix of in-office and remote.
- Flexible Schedule: We all work hard, and so we believe in working whenever you're at your best.
- Free Health Insurance: Enroll in Owl Labs's health plan for $1 for you and your family.
- Unlimited Vacation: We have big goals. It makes sense to take what you need, when you need it.
- Celebrate Inclusivity: Owlers get important holidays, including International Women's Day, Indigenous People's Day and MLK Day.
- Incredible Team: Learn alongside phenomenal folks from some of Boston's most successful tech companies.